Thursday, May 03, 2007

Copyright infringement?

I've been thinking a lot about my performance recently, and how it fits into the grand scheme of things, and if it infringes on copyright or not.

I'm aware that the use of copyrighted video materials from both Square Enix and other publisher's games is an infringement, but there was no other way to do the project.

However, in researching Square Enix's take on the matter, I found the following quite helpful:

"How do I obtain permission to perform Square Enix pieces for our school band or other event?

Square Enix charges a royalty fee to all those who wish to perform and/or arrange their game music for any for-profit performance venue. In order to perform their music legally, you'll need to obtain permission and pay the fee. Please contact Square Enix directly for information about how to obtain permission or find out more information."

from http://www.squaresound.com/help.html#band.

It should be interesting to note the following... "music for any for-profit performance venue." As my final degree show was a non-profit (and an educational) event, I should be ok. I don't particularly want to contact Square Enix about the concert, because right now they are blissfully unaware such an event took place. I don't particularly want to be sued retroactively!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home